The $20M, 60,000 SF historic Phillips Packing House Building will be re-purposed as The Packing House - an active, mixed-use LEED Gold development designed to support the emerging industries related to the Eastern Shore’s famed farming and fisheries. The Packing House will house a synergistic mix of tech and creative entrepreneurs, food production and food related retail/eateries as well as a 2-story, light-filled open atrium space for continuous public programs and private events.
Originally built in 1920 as a furniture factory, the building later became part of the Phillips Packing Company empire, which employed thousands of people in Cambridge at its peak and supplied rations to troops during WWII. The building features an open floor plan, soaring ceilings, and the opportunity to retain many historic architectural features that will enhance the space with an authentic, Eastern Shore manufacturing aesthetic. Adjacent to the Phillips Building is the future site of Cannery Park, a new ‘central park’ for the City of Cambridge that will incorporate active and passive spaces for recreation. The Packing House and Cannery Park, located in the Packing District*, are easily accessible to the lively and charming downtown Cambridge and Route 50.
Cross Street Partners, in partnership with Eastern Shore Land Conservancy (ESLC), will re-purpose the historic Phillips Packing Company, Factory F (The Packing House) in Cambridge, MD. Building on the Eastern Shore’s deep tradition of agricultural and fishing assets, the Packing House will become an active, mixed-use development designed to support and grow regional economic opportunities connected to agriculture, aquaculture, environmental technologies, and tourism.
The Packing House will serve as a connection between the growing downtown revitalization in Cambridge and the well-traveled Route 50—Ocean Gateway to Maryland, Delaware, and Virginia beaches. The commercialization, research, production, and active retail uses will support local employment and inform nutrition and public health programming on the Eastern Shore.
Redeveloping this historically significant building as an entrepreneurial engine for the Cambridge community in a manner that celebrates Cambridge’s unique heritage preserves the legacy of the Phillips Packing Company. It is the last remaining factory from the Phillips Company’s empire of vegetable and food packing businesses, which once employed thousands of people in Cambridge. The company closed in the 1960’s, and the building has been deteriorating for decades.
- Located 60 min from Annapolis and approximately 90-105 min from Baltimore and D.C.
- Cambridge is one of Maryland's oldest cities, incorporated in 1793
- Nearby Blackwater National Refuge and the new Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Visitor Center attract thousands of visitors annually
- One block off US 50, providing access to the Baltimore-Washington Corridor and millions traveling to and from Maryland and Delaware beaches
- Within walking/biking distance of a revitalized downtown corridor featuring popular eateries and a craft brewery
Lease Range: $17-$25/sf
- Potential uses: Office, small and medium-scale food production, light manufacturing, retail and event space
- Iconic 90-foot smokestacks highly visible from Route 50
- 12-40 foot ceilings, factory windows, skylights and exposed brick walls
- 120 onsite parking spaces and loading bay
- Event Space Capacity: 540+
- Cannery Park: 6.6 acre, city-owned property adjacent to the building that will become a new central park for the town
- Outdoor dining area
- Certified historic preservation targeting LEED Gold certification
interested in leasing?
Looking for space in the heart of Cambridge?
Fill out the form below and a member of our team will be in touch.